It is very interesting and funny at the same time how all of us desire to be successful, rich, have good things of life and travel pleasurably around the world and not willing to pay the required price that will make them happen. Pains and gains, price and prize, cross and crown are inseparable twins that goes hand in hand together. If you want your dream of becoming great in life to become a reality, then you must be ready to work at it.
“I learned that the only way you are going to get anywhere in life is to work hard at it. Whether you’re a musician, a writer, an athlete, or a businessman, there is no getting around it. If you do, you’ll win – if you don’t, you won’t.” – Bruce Jenner. Olympic gold medalist
We are the total sum of our actions or inactions of yesterday and our decisions to be idle and not resourceful yesterday is our doom of today. Some of the things happening to us today are not because of generational curses, witchcraft or consequences of past sins. They are as a result of our laziness of yesterday and today.
Almost everybody living on earth today has been guilty in one way or the other of what this topic intends to achieve, because most of us would not be in our present position and situation today (even if they seems to be okay), if we have done all we were supposed to have done, when we suppose to have done them.
What is Laziness?
Laziness is acts of spending time idly, the unwillingness to work or exert energy. The act of not putting effort or care to whatever one is doing. You are lazy when you are not doing what you suppose to be doing when you are suppose to be doing it.
- Laziness is folding of arms when you are suppose to be working
- Laziness is sleeping when you are suppose to be working
- Laziness is being careless with your responsibility
- Laziness is procrastination – put off until tomorrow
- Laziness is foolishness/stupidity
- Laziness is giving excuses
- Laziness is simple and easy
Types of laziness
- Spiritual Laziness: We are spiritual beings that live in a spiritual world and it would amount to suicide if we live our lives outside the spirit. No matter your faith, you cannot afford to be lazy at it. The holy book, Bible says, “Physical training is good, but training for godliness (religiousness) is much better, promising benefits in this life and in life to come.” 1 Tim 4:8 (NLT). If you want to be successful in this present world, you have to be active spiritually. A good friend of mine told me sometimes ago, that if I desire to be successful in my business that I should not sit on the fence with my spiritual life, that I should either be very spiritual positively or negatively, and we both agreed that being spiritual in the negative way always ends in destruction and regret. How can we spiritually active? Locate the true God, have a good relationship with him by praying, fasting, and learning more about Him and meditating in His Holy words earnestly.
- Mental Laziness: The bane of our world today, is mental laziness, inability to put our brain to work. You can never know what you can do until you try. Ben Carson, a neurosurgeon in his book “Take the Risk” said “…no computer network on earth can come close to capacity of the average human brain.” and “Your brain can take in million bits of information per second.” How amazing? Average human being is said to be endowed with over 200 talents. The question is, what are you doing with your brain and God given abilities? You were created to create. You were made to make things. You can imagine what this world will be like if some people are not innovating and creating. If there are no cars, no planes, no phones, no houses, no clothes and many other things we are enjoying today. Mental laziness is more dangerous than physical laziness. The richest people on earth and the highest paid employee use more of their brain than their hands. Start using your brain from today.
- 3. Physical Laziness: This is when you are not exerting your physical energy towards achieving a set goal. Researchers says, to be able to receive a gold medal at the Olympics, you need to train and practice for 4hours everyday for 310 days in year for 6 years consecutively irrespective of the sport. A fellow Olympian with Michael Jordan, Steve Alford said, “When I played with Michael Jordan on the Olympic team, there was a huge gap between his ability and the ability of the other great players on that team. But what impressed me was that he was always the first one on the floor and the last one to leave.” You must be ready to put everything into dream, including physical hard work.
It is dealing with these three types of laziness together that will make you a super star and celebrity you are dreaming to become. Laziness is like addictive drugs to your life. It is a habit that may be difficult to drop if is not dealt with at its early stage. It can even be transferred to your children. Aside this, the following are the real dangers of Laziness;
Dangers of Laziness
- Lack, hunger and poverty: It is obvious that you will lack, hungry and poor, if you don’t know how to work.
- Wasted years: Aside being poor, it is the greatest time robber. If procrastination is a thief of time and procrastination is laziness, then the end result is wasted years for anybody that indulges in it. When you see an old man saying “sir” to someone of the age of his grandson, ask him why? He might probably be lazing around when he was supposed to be working hard at his life.
- Destruction: It is obvious that the desire of a lazy man will kill him. Because a lazy man want the best things of life too and when they are not forthcoming because of his laziness, then, he will decide to take the shortcut route to get them like fraud, stealing, robbing and prostitution and shortcut will always cut life short. You can’t eat your cake and still want to have it. The end result is destruction.
- Frustration: If you were playing when you were supposed to be working, the clear result will be disappointment, dissatisfaction, aggravation and annoyance which mean frustration. When you see your mate achieving their dreams and progressing in life, leaving you behind as a result of laziness on your part, you will definitely be frustrated and ashamed.
- Slavery: People who have been spiritually, mentally and physically active have always been ruling lazy people. A lazy man will forever pay tribute to the diligent.
What is Hard Work?
Hard work means doing what you are expected to do, more than you are expected to do it,and when you are expected to do it. It means being diligent, that is, persistence and hard working effort in doing something.
- Hard working is being active,
- is being industrious,
- is being thorough
- is being careful
- is being productive
- is being meticulous
- is being creative
- is being dynamic
- Is being disciplined
- Is putting effort
Benefits of hard work
- Success and Achieved Desires: Success means achievement of worthy goals. Whenever you do what you are suppose to do when you are supposed to them, you will definitely have your desires and goals achieved, which is success. No matter your desire or dream, if you work hard at it, it is a matter of time, it will materialize. “It’s not the will to win that matters – everybody has that. It is the will to prepare to win that matters.”Paul “Bear” Bryant
- Profit: The result of every smart labour is profit. Profit means income, proceeds, revenue, turnover, yield or return and these can only be attained by being diligent and serious with your work and business.
- Riches, Prosperity & Wealth: If you want to be rich, prosper and wealthy, there are no two ways to it, be smart and hard working. Michelangelo, the great sculptor and painter said,”If people knew how hard I had to work to gain my mastery. It wouldn’t seem wonderful at all.” It is said that “If wishes are horses, beggars will ride on them.”Wealth and riches doesn’t stay in an environment of laziness, they locate the diligent and lodge with him.
- Leadership position: Right from my primary school age, I discovered that leadership positions always goes to the brightest and influential student, from class captain, to class janitor to school prefect to course representative to fellowship leader to union leader. Leadership is not attained by sentiment, it is attained by diligence. So, if you desire to be a leader someday, then you have to start working hard at it everyday.
Hard work Enhancers
- Own up to your responsibilities: The first step towards stopping laziness is to realize and accept that you have being lazy. Nobody can help a lazy man that believes he is smart and hard working. There is need for you to own up. Even, if you are hard working, you can be better at what you do.
- Vision: A man that does have a destination, we remain either on the bed or at the bus stop. The motivation for hard work is vision. Vision is the mental picture of your future. It is what gives you sleepless night, it is what makes you jet out early in the morning, it is what makes you work very hard on a daily basis, without it, life is uninteresting. Find out your earthly mission, give it a vision and run with it.
- Goal setting: You know, vision and mission are big, there is need to break them down, that is goal. Goals are small activities that help you achieve your vision. They happen daily, weekly, monthly and yearly. So, have daily, weekly, monthly, and yearly goals. Use diary, phone, Use alarm and computer to remind and assist you to achieve them.
- Practicing: Practice, they say, makes perfect. If you want to be great at whatever you are doing, there is need to perfect the trade through practicing. Making up your mind practice daily is an antidote to laziness. As a speaker and writer like me, you must make up your mind to read books and write at least for an hour each daily and give free and low fee talks often before you can be good at it. Athletes should practice four hours a day, swimmer average of 10 miles a day, at speeds of 5 mph in the pool. Andre Previn, a pianist, conductor and composer said, “If I miss a day of practice, I know it. If I miss two days, my manager knows it. If I miss three days, my audience knows it.”
- Learning: it is said that, “You must know everything about something and something about everything.”The quest for learning more is hard work. Reading is one of the most difficult things to do earth, but unfortunately, readers are always leaders and successful. Jim Rohn said, “Successful people have libraries and the rest have big TVs.” Learning and greatness is synonymous! The hard way is the only way.
- Discipline: You can never be hard working without being very discipline. It takes discipline to wake up early and go t bed late. It takes discipline to cling on to your dreams in the mist of adversity. Discipline is a choice. Discipline is taking control of your life. Decide to work hard at whatever you are doing from today and you will see your dreams becoming a reality.
“Talent is cheaper than table salt. What separates the talented individual and the successful one is a lot of hard work” – Stephen King (Author)
For further details and questions on this topic, invitation to speak at your trainings, seminars and programs, kindly contact Tomiwa Ogunremi on 234 – 706 – 6471 – 717 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org